The above plaque was recently found in a skip in Denton. It has been looked at by the Denton Local History Society and has been proved to belong to St Mary's Parish.
It is currently being restored and will soon be back on display in St Mary's Church, with information about the names that are engraved on the plaque.
What we know about the plaque so far.
In 1922 the Parish of St Mary, Denton recorded having lost 17 of its congregation in the Great War. The parish war memorial which took the form of a brass votive candle stand, bore the names of 26 men, who were either parishioners or relatives of parishioners.
The names engraved on the plaque are:
Private John Brady; Private Charles Bromley; Private Percy Bromley; Private John J Brown; Private Edward Callaghan;
Sargent Thomas Callaghan; Private Herbert Christian; Lance Corporal John Condon MM; Private John Costelloe; Private James Curran;
Private William Thorp Downs; Private David Drinkwater; Private Joseph Higginson; Private Vincent Hurley; Private Daniel Kavanagh;
Private Thomas Kavanagh; Private Edward Kelly; Lance Corporal Anthony Langan; Private Leo Sebastian Mallalieu;
Private Martin Moores; Private Albert V Sutherland (Bert); Private Thomas Swindells; Private Thomas Taylor;
Able Seaman James/John Wilde; Signaller James Wilson (Jim) and Private Robert L Wilson.